Coronavirus (COVID-19) Visitation Protocol Update (8/11/21)
August 10, 2021
Dear Fountainview Families:
Since the beginning of this pandemic, my team and I have done our very best to stay two-steps ahead of this horrid COVID-19 virus. While there have been some bumps along the way, and some true tests of faith and perseverance, we have made it this far. Unfortunately, our fight continues. As am sure that you are aware the COVID-19 positivity rates throughout the state, and our county have continued to increase in recent weeks. The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) report yesterday shows DeKalb County at a 10.2% positivity rate. As such, and out of an abundance of caution for our residents and staff members, effective Tuesday, August 11, 2021, we will be returning to our scheduled visitation best practice.
Here are a few notable highlights from the best practice.
- Continue with requirements related to:
- Hand hygiene
- Face coverings
- Social distancing
- Visits must be scheduled no later than 24-hours in advance.
- Visits will be scheduled for a designated space, not in resident rooms.
- End-of-life/compassionate care visits are the only exceptions
- Visits will be scheduled for Monday – Friday from 10am – 5pm, last appointment scheduled at 4p to end by 5p.
- Mid-day break from 12p – 2:00p daily for resident mealtime.
- No more than three visitors per resident at a time.
- Upon arrival to the facility, do not enter the facility more than five minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. This will allow adequate time for screening.
- Movement of visitors inside the facility will be limited to a predetermined path.
- A staff escort will take you to the visitation area.
- Any additional business must be conducted via phone or email once you leave the facility.
- Visits will be scheduled every hour hour and will be limited to 50-minutes.
- This will allow for disinfecting of the visitation area between visitors.
- Skype visits may be scheduled, as time and staffing permits, by contacting Christine in our Programming Department (404-325-7994 X 31).
Additionally, should a resident become infected with the virus, be suspected of having it, or are in the observation area, they may not receive visitors for a minimum of 14-days. All visits must be scheduled in advance, and all visitors must be screened before the visit. Finally, all visitors will be required to always wear a well-fitting mask while in the facility. Non-vaccinated visitors should remain six feet away from residents and staff members for the duration of the visit.
We recognize that these regulatory limitations feel restrictive, but we feel that they are necessary for the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. The Fountainview Center has established a process by which you can make a reservation to come and visit your loved one. We will work hard to make sure that the process is fair and equitable. Starting today, you may call the facility to schedule an in-person visit. Each pavilion will have their own respective schedules. Outdoor visits are preferred, as weather permits. Again, scheduled visits will start on Wednesday, August 11, 2021.
It has been nearly four months since we last had to restricted visitations. As we return to previous practices, I would ask that you all continue to be patient and compliant with these restrictions. They are designed to protect your loved ones and the staff who care for them. We all need to be aware of the elevated risks of a new outbreak if we are not careful with following the guidelines. If any visitors are unable to follow the rules, we will have to restrict their visitation rights, as allowed by the Federal regulation. Additionally, should one resident or one staff member test positive for COVID-19, visitations will have to cease visits for a minimum of 14- days.
As we head into the coming days and weeks in our fight to keep this virus out of our center, we ask for you positive thoughts and prayers. My team and I remain committed to our residents and our mission. Stay safe!
Tedd Watts, RN, LNHA, CDP, FACHCA